Tuesday, May 31, 2011

One day down, 78 more to go

Today marked the first day of Summer vacation. The day went fairly smoothly, despite perhaps a little too much time spent in front of various screens (computer, television, etc...) There was minimal fighting, healthy meals at appropriate mealtimes, household chores checked off the list, Duke got both (!) of his naps, and I even got to sneak in a few minutes of reading during the day (unheard of). Maybe this summer vacation stuff won't be as bad as I was expecting. Actually, it was nice not to have anywhere to be. No rushing around, searching frantically for the missing sandal, taming tangled hair, scarfing down a quick lunch before shuttling the girls to school.

Izzy used this picture of her and I for a
Mother's Day craft at school
 
Loved these two ladies!
Izzy's teacher, Mrs. McLoughlin, and her assistant, Mrs. Anderson.
I couldn't have hoped for better teachers.
 
Izzy "graduating." Notice her cap made out of red construction paper with a yarn tassle. The teacher called them all up, one by one, and had them answer a few simple questions. What's your full name, how old are you, when's your birthday, what do you want to be when you grow up? Izzy said she wants to be a cowgirl when she grows up. Love it! No boring princess or ballerina for my girl. There was another little boy in her class who said he wanted to be a cowboy. Hmmm. Should I be worried?

I filmed Eliza's class program instead of taking still shots, so when I figure out how to upload it here, I will. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea that I favor one of my children over the others...I know this post is Izzy-heavy. That is one challenge with having twins - I have to be very careful to make sure things are equal and even. I think this is a challenge with any set of siblings, but I think it's magnified with twins because the comparisons are happening instantly, not years apart.

One day down. If you have any ideas of fun things to do during the next 78, I would love to hear them!

3 comments:

  1. sounds like a good start to a great summer! can't wait to share a little bit of it with you! la-love the new font, by the way ... it's totally kim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, here's some two cents on ideas:
    1) Anything outside with water = good.
    2) I made a little maze on the floor with jenga blocks and played with Amy using lego men to walk through it. She loved it.
    3) I wonder how many different things they could figure out how to do with their hair braided together - so Eliza & Izzy back to back with two braids attaching their heads together. Makes a 3-legged race sound easy!
    4) Library
    5) Noodle art (Glue, paper, and different types of uncooked noodles. ready go!)
    6) Want 30 minutes of peace? Buy lots (LOTS) of paper clips and ask them how long of a chain they can make.
    7) Animal farm tours / Petting zoos
    8) Kids Olympics (create a bunch of different events like jumping through a rolling hula hoop, etc.)
    9) Find a weed patch, give the girls some solid plastic trowels, and tell them to play in the dirt. After their done, weeding the area will be a cinch!
    10) Bean bags, 99-cent plastic balls from groc. store, bubbles, hula hoops, sidewalk chalk, plastic trowells, water hose with detachable springler head, back yard. With all that, all you need is a chair and a book. :)

    Well, there's some ideas, for better or worse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh. #9: "After they're", not "their".

    ReplyDelete